Here’s everything interesting in African technology today. Not subscribed? Click hereto get this goodness in your mailbox every day at 7am (GMT + 1).
1. TechCabal has scheduled Office Hours with Odun Longe and Ope Adeoyefor entrepreneurs in Lagos who would like help and advice with legal and electronic payments respectively. Seats are capped at 15 for each interaction, and only people with real questions/needs will be considered. Don’t dull. TechCabal Office Hours is brought to you by, well, TechCabal, and proudly supported by V8 Africa, a co-working space in Lekki and community for businesses, entrepreneurs and independent profession.
2. About this Ushahidi sexual harassment debacle…Quartz Africa’s Yinka Adegoke speaks for many of us when he says that they need to do the right thing. But more importantly, the people in African tech must be prepared to have uncomfortable conversations and not pretend to not notice when bad stuff is going down. Link
3. Another writer who isn’t pulling their punches is African Tech Roundup’s Andile Masuku who writes that the problem with a lot of VC’s investing in Africa is a bias towards expat founders. Link
4. Do we really understand how business owners use the internet in Accra and Lagos? Emmanuel Quartey’s latest Flint post has more questions than answers, which is all the more reason to read it. Link
5. Another real question, this time by Emeka Ajene. Should African entrepreneurs target the few affluent or the many low-Income consumers? Link
6. A South African court ruled that Uber drivers are employees, not independent contractors. Welp. Link
7. OMG Digital began with listicles, but will eventually move into news, says Jesse Ghansah in an interview with Neiman Lab. Link
Ingressive is growing and looking to expand its team with two new positions – they are looking to hire a Head of Operations and a Communications Manager. If you’re interested in any of the roles, send your CV to [email protected]
What else is going on?
+ Watching Fope document her wonder in her journey to become an amazing frontend developer is…wonderful. Link
+ This is a cool design challenge happening on Radar, someone hire the man. Link
In need of an urgent loan? Kwik Cash provides mobile loan services for your emergency and lifestyle needs up to N100,000. All you have to do is dial *561# on the Etisalat Network and follow the instructions. Click here for more information on Kwik Cash.
A message from LSETF
If you are involved in the Lagos tech ecosystem, the Lagos State Employment Trust Fund needs your input to guide its plans to support tech entrepreneurs. You can help out by visiting this page to take a survey.
Upcoming events and deadlines
Lagos: Business Clinic: General Business Advisory, July 18th. Link
Lagos: Workshop: Hiring A Winning Team, July 19th. Link
Lagos: Free Pass Friday + Movie Night, July 21st. Link
Deadline extension: TechCrunch’s Startup Battlefield Africa July 21, 2017.Link
Lagos: Finance Fundamentals for Startups, July 22nd. Link
Abia: HBN Learn & Brunch 2.0, July 22nd. Link
Want to see your event in here? Add your event
We are drafting an open manifesto for the Yaba technology cluster, and we’d like you to join us! Start contributing here.
Thanks for reading.
Best wishes for a productive week ahead.